Friday, May 15, 2015

Fish Climbing Trees

This project allowed me to explore how other's minds use information as well as my own. Throughout the time working on this project, I have learned a lot about myself. As the difficulties in school increased, I found myself unable to do the work as easily as other people. Throughout my studies on this project, I soon found that dyslexia may be the cause of my learning difficulties. The gifts that often accompany dyslexia have allowed me to understand universal concepts such as bridge structure and design, aeronautics, and other complex concepts that others may not understand as easily as I do. Though others may understand the steps and in time come to see the whole concept, I am able to understand the whole concept but cannot map out the steps needed to get there. 

My step-father embraces my creative side and encourages me to continue to work with my gifts and not focus so much on the things that I am unable to do. He bought me a drawing desk and top of the line drawing pencils and materials so that I am able to continue to develop my creative side.

I continue to use my drawing desk every day and enjoy my quiet space where I can express my creativity. I always listen to music with my headphones while drawing. Though I throw many of my drawings away because they don't meet my standards, I don't care a lot about the end product. I focus on the process of improving my art each day. 

Along with the gifts of creativity and universal understanding, comes challenges as well. These challenges include words moving on the paper while reading (which is very annoying), horrible spelling (thank you spell check), and troubles with organization (thanks Mom!).

As a popular anonymous quote states, "Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Embrace your talents. Strengthen your weaknesses, and always nurture the genius within.

1 comment:

  1. "Embrace your talents. Strengthen your weaknesses, and always nurture the genius within." What a great lesson! Thanks, Daniel.

    ReplyDelete