Friday, May 1, 2015

Multiple Intelligences

Howard Gardner, from Harvard, created multiple intelligence theory. His theory provided a broader range of what it means to be smart. Up until his work, IQ tests were all that was used to measure someone's intelligence. This theory identifies seven areas of intelligence. His original book was titled Frames of Mind. These area are:

Visual-Spatial: very aware of their environments, like to draw, do jigsaw puzzles, read maps, and daydream; taught through drawings, verbal and physical imagery 

Bodily-kinesthetic: keen sense of body awareness, like movement, making things, and touching; communicate well through body language and being taught through physical activity

Musical: love music, but they are also sensitive to sounds in their environments; may study better with music in the background; taught by turning lessons into lyrics, speaking rhythmically, or tapping out time

Interpersonal: understanding, interacting with others; learn through interaction; have many friends, empathy for others, or street smarts; taught through group activities, seminars, and dialogues

Intrapersonal: understanding one's own interests and goals; learners tend to shy away from others; in tune with their inner feelings; they have wisdom, intuition and motivation, as well as a strong will, confidence, and opinions

Linguistic: use words effectively; have highly developed auditory skills and often think in words; like reading, playing word games, making up poetry, or stories; taught by encouraging them to say and see words and read books together

Logical-Mathematical: likes reasoning, calculating; thinks conceptually, abstractly, and are able to see and explore patterns and relationships; like to experiment, solve puzzles, and ask cosmic questions; taught through logic games, investigations, and mysteries. 

According to Howard Gardener's website, http://multipleintelligencesoasis.org, an official test has not been developed. Though many sites offer tests, these are not endorsed by Dr. Gardener. However, we found this website that offered a quick test to give you an idea of your preferred learning modality. The words used to describe the learning styles are a little different than Gardner's.

Visual-Spatial (Visual)
Bodily-kinesthetic (Physical)
Musical (Aural)
Interpersonal (Social) 
Intrapersonal (Solitary)
Linguistic (Verbal)
Logical-Mathematical (Logical)

Please click on the link below to begin learning more about how your mind works. The test will require a user name, password, and email to get the results, although the results come up instantly after you submit the test. You will receive an interesting graphic showing your most preferred to least preferred modality along with numeric data.

http://www.learning-styles-online.com/inventory/

The test seemed to be accurate and gave me a broader view of what is going on inside my mind. I find that I naturally use the learning methods that were shown in the results. I hope you find the test interesting.

Just for fun, we found this entertaining video that expands on how our minds learn. In my opinion, I found it quite enjoyable and hope you also like it. Did you know your mind has fast and slow learning capabilities? Check it out in this interactive video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiTz2i4VHFw

Next blog, we'll be discussing how dyslexia affects the way people think.
See you next time, Daniel! :)



1 comment:

  1. I love this quiz! I didn't even realize that I was such a social learner. It makes sense to me because I ask a lot of questions. Sometimes my manager seems to not like that about me, but I actually retain it/learn it much better if I can talk to someone about a concept rather than read about it myself. It will be nice to find ways to increase my solitary and learning, as well.

    I really like how this post talks about the different types of intelligence. There are so many. Just because I learn better by asking questions and listening to discussions in class, doesn't mean that I am any more/less intelligent that someone who learns by reading the text book. I think the type of intelligence we have (verbal, social, etc), dictates how we learn best. I like being reminded that I may learn differently, but that does not mean better or worse than someone else. We all have important strengths!

    Thanks Daniel!

    ReplyDelete